In partnership with the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, the SEBS Language Partner Program provides the opportunity to practice English, Chinese, or Korean with native speakers in casual conversation outside the classroom. Partners will spend half the time speaking English and half the time speaking Chinese or Korean, so you can practice each other’s language. Based on your interests and schedule, we will match you with a partner. This is a great opportunity to improve your language skill and get to know each other’s culture!
Who Can Participate?
- SEBS students whose native language is Chinese or Korean
- Any students whose native language is English and who are interested in learning Chinese or Korean
SEBS students who are interested in helping Chinese or Korean students with their English proficiency, but not interested in learning Chinese or Korean, please contact the SEBS Office of Global Engagement.
- Attend a “Meet and Greet” at the beginning of each semester to meet their partner and be provided with necessary information
- Meet your partner at least once a week for 1 hour for 12 weeks. After the initial meeting at the Meet and Greet, partners can find a mutually convenient time and place to meet
- Fall: from the third week of September to the first week of December
- Spring: from the first week of February to the last week of April
- Keep a log of your meetings and activities
- Attend a meeting at the end of the semester and submit a reflection survey
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis (first come, first served)
- Fall 2019: September 6, 2019
- Spring 2020: January 26, 2020