What is an Independent Program?
An independent study abroad program can be as simple or as complex as any one student desires, but it must be vetted prior to gaining Rutgers credit or approval for financial support. Independent programming can be broken into three categories: research with an international university or industry, participating in a non-Rutgers affiliated program, or an international internship. Each option requires a unique approval process.
Participation in a non-Rutgers study abroad program (not offered by the Rutgers Global—Study Abroad Office) requires students to take extra consideration for transfer of credits and financial aid. These programs can take place as either short-term summer, winter, or spring break offerings.
- If financial aid is not necessary, students can participate in non-Rutgers programs during the summer, winter, and spring breaks without special approvals. If financial assistance is necessary, students must schedule a meeting with a SEBS International Programs Team Member
- Programs with academic credit must have approval prior to student participation. Without this approval, transfer of credits is not guaranteed
- Students who participate in independent summer research must have a research plan approved by their academic major advisor to be eligible for SEBS scholarship support (not all scholarships will support research travel)
- Students interested in independent research are responsible for finding and securing a placement prior to applying for any financial support
- Internships can be approved as either independently obtained or through non-Rutgers program with internship opportunities. Both options require approval from both SEBS International Programs and an academic advisor
- Non-Rutgers internship programs offering credit must have advisor approval prior to participation or credit transfer is not guaranteed
- Independent summer internships are eligible for SPIN credit. Please see the SPIN website for more information regarding eligibility and processing
- All students who participate in a non-Rutgers Global—Study Abroad program, research experience, or internship will be required to obtain iSOS Travel insurance through Rutgers Risk Management (some exceptions apply)
- More information and the roster can be found on the Rutgers Risk Management website
- Students who do not obtain this insurance will not be eligible for SEBS Scholarship support
Independent Study Abroad Interest Form
For more information or to set up an appointment with a SEBS International Team Member please email firstname.lastname@example.org.